Thursday, May 29, 2008

Motorcade

I thought I'd share some pictures and a video. I had the opportunity today and yesterday to participate in the president's motorcade for work. The motorcade requires an ambulance be a part of it, so when I heard the president was coming to town a few weeks ago I immediately requested to work the motorcade (before anyone else apparently).

YOU CAN ENLARGE PICTURES BY CLICKING ON THEM




I was able to work both days of the motorcade for his arriving trip and the day of him leaving. On the first day, I arrived to the airport fire station where the ambulance was and waited around for a couple hours before we were actually needed. The secret service was using the station as a staging point for all their vehicles including the president's limosuine and other secret service vehicles including armored vehicles. We met with the secret service people, some who wore suits and some wearing tactical uniforms and armed with large rifles. Despite this, they were all very cool and friendly and quite laid back (I was surprised). They gladly showed us their vehicles and equipment and answered any questions. They also provided us many opportunities to take pictures (Another shock as I wasn't sure they would allow pictures).






At 1:00, we moved our ambulance next door to the Air National Guard base where the president would be arriving. There, we underwent a security check of the ambulance where agents went through looking at everything and sent a bomb sniffing dog around. They also provided us one of the secret service radios. The radio was affectionately named “the lunchbox” because it looked like a black lunch box with a big antenna sticking out of it. I was more hoping for an earpiece radio with a microphone that would allow me to talk into my wrist watch, but this would do I guess. The agent briefing us on using the radio told us our call sign on the radio would be “sunburn”. He said not to use the radio unless there was a problem or if they called us (fine by me).



The Radio aka "lunch box"

Afterwards, one of the president’s physicians came to us and briefed us. He was also very nice. He told us that if we were needed, they would call us on the radio and have us come forward in the motorcade. He also said that we should not stop for any reason unless directed by secret service even if a motorcycle or a vehicle in the motorcade crashed. The secret service also operated an ambulance of sorts which is painted completely black (vehicle in one of the above pictures). This, I believe, is what the president would more likely be transported in to a hospital if necessary. This vehicle has a compartment in the back similar to an ambulance with a stretcher. I am assuming our presence was used more as a backup and to treat other people in the motorcade if necessary. I was excited nonetheless. The doctor still briefed us on the event of treating the president, and said to treat him just like any other patient. That was crazy, thinking of the possibility of treating the president (although very unlikely).

Air Force One landed about 45 minutes behind schedule. As it did land and was taxiing to the tarmac, the snipers on the top of the airplane hangars and other buildings became obvious to see. The plane taxied right past the ambulance and parked next to the limosuines.



The president exited the aircraft as well as many other people including the press corps, who would occupy 4 or 5 vans directly ahead of us in the motorcade. The president spent a few minutes on the tarmac greeting people. As he arrived, the chatter on the secret service radio picked up. Listening to this, you could hear the agents referring to the president as “Trailblazer”. They were saying things like “Trailblazer is exiting the bird [Air Force One]” or “Trailblazer is descending the stairs” or “Trailblazer is entering the stage coach [the limosuine]”. Once he was in the limo, we were soon on our way as well.



The above picture shows the person who came out immediately after the president. I wasn't quick enough with the camera to catch the president himself (Doh!). Most of the people at the bottom are the press corps.

The entire motorcade consisted of approximately 20 vehicles including the 2 limos (one I presume was a decoy), several secret service vehicles including trucks and suburbans, some other transport vehicles for other VIP’s on the plane (Mike Leavitt was also in the motorcade as I remember the secret service talking about him on the radios as well), the five or so press corps vans, our ambulance, and about 3 Utah Highway Patrol Vehicles behind us. Ahead of the motorcade were about 12 Utah Highway Patrol motorcycles.



We sped off the tarmac very quickly and as we got on the public streets, there were crowds of people looking on and many more cops blocking traffic. We soon got on the freeway and were on our way downtown. We were told to stay right on the tail of the vehicle in front of us and turn all our emergency lights on but not to use sirens unless necessary. I floored it most of the drive and I didn’t have a hard time maintaining the 85-95 MPH we drove on I-80. The freeway was completely deserted because they had closed it off. It was rather nice not having any traffic. A few minutes later we were off the freeway as we headed towards State Street. The streets downtown were all blocked off by police and we just kept on going through all the intersections and red lights as if they didn’t exist (At least when I normally drive the ambulance lights and sirens, I slow down at the red lights to make sure everyone else sees me and stops before going through, but not this time).

Crowds lined the streets, some waving, some holding protest signs, and some even flipping off the motorcade as we drove by. We drove almost as fast up State Street as we did the freeway. Soon we were headed up the avenues to a large home near LDS Hospital where “Trail Blazer” got out and spent about 45 minutes at a luncheon.


Where we parked during the luncheon.

After the luncheon, we left the home and were on our way back to the airport. We took basically the same route as we came and were met with more crowds and more protesters. We arrived at the airport once again a few minutes later and this time pulled up next to about 5 helicopters, including Marine 1, which would fly the president and some of the press corps to Park City where he spent the night.


Marine One departing.

Day 2 started much earlier in the day. My partner would drive today as I drove in yesterday. It would also give me a better opportunity to take pictures. We arrived at the Air National Guard building around 6:30 and the secret service did their routine of going through the ambulance and sending a bomb sniffing dog around. We got our “lunch box” again and proceeded out to the ramp where we waited for the president to arrive.

The president was to arrive from Park City aboard Marine 1 around 8:00. As we waited, we took the opportunity to take pictures in front of Air Force One.
















The president arrived about 8:00 and we were on our way to Temple Square where the president met with leaders of the church. The ride downtown happened to be during morning rush hour for most people and I am sure many were inconvenienced by all the road closures due to the motorcade. We however, made it from the airport to Temple Square in about six minutes. The president spent about 45 minutes to one hour at the Church Office Building.



We parked outside the underground parking waiting for his limousine to emerge and when it did, his limo passed directly in front of us, giving us a great view. We sped off to the airport as it began to rain.






The guy in the back of the suburban is armed with a high caliber rifle.

Arriving at the airport, the president wasted no time getting on board Air Force One as the rain picked up. Literally as soon as he was on board, front door closed and the engines began spooling up. The rear entrance remained open as the press corps boarded which only took one to two minutes. Air Force One quickly taxied out and took off a minute later just as the rain turned heavy. Less than fifteen minutes after he departed a microburst thunderstorm came over the airport with hail and lightning.





I took two videos on the second day. Click the links below to view the videos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jkudall/Motorcade/photo?authkey=cmfgtX0URw0#5205931987874223042

http://picasaweb.google.com/jkudall/Motorcade/photo?authkey=cmfgtX0URw0#5205951723248948226


This last video was filmed by some random person (I found it on youtube): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nsq7QhbVd0&feature=related

4 comments:

jen said...

What an amazing experience! You will always remember doing that. How interesting to have an eyewitness to the events. Thanks for sharing them with us!

Smarties said...

Way to resurrect the Family Blob in high-class fashion, Jim!! That was so awesome - I loved the narrative. I was showing the pictures to the kids - the boys in particular loved it - and saying things like, "There's the President's car" or "there's the president's airplane", or "there's the president's helicopter." Then Spencer said, "Is that the President's shiny temple?!" Good job, 'sunburn'.

nathan said...

As an uncle, I can't compete with things like 'secret service' and a load of pictures of helicopters, planes, armored cars, and such. I mean, if I were a kid, you'd clearly be the favorite uncle. Hands down.

Sarah Jane said...

Cool video. Was it fun to run all those red lights?